Get a high performance condensing tankless water heater compatible with existing 1/2" gas pipe lines.
No more initial cold water out the faucet or shower, thanks to the ComfortFlow feature exclusive to Navien NPE-Advanced water heaters.
• Eliminates cold water sandwich.
• Built-in recirculation system will save you money.
• Intelligent pre-heating function.
Ultra Condensing Efficiency
→ Navien's Condensing Technology allows high efficiency heating
→ Significant energy savings over traditional water heaters
Dual Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers
→ Longer life expectancy than copper heat exchangers. More resistant to corrosion
→ Less mineral scaling and deposits
Low NOx Emissions
→ New metal fiber burner delivers a consistent gas/air mixture
→ Less greenhouse gas emissions and acid rain
→ SCAQMD 1146.2 compliant
2" PVC, CPVC, Polypropylene Venting
→ 2" vent allows you to install a flue through an existing vent
→ 3" vent can be used up to 150' on standard 2" x 3" adapters
Compatible with Existing 1/2", 3/4", and 1" Gas Lines
→ Many other tankless cannot work with the lower WC pressure with your 1/2" gas line. But with the NPE series, you can use your 1/2" gas lines up to 24 feet. Refer to the installation manual for detailed sizing guidelines.
→ The dual venturi fan and negative pressure gas valve provides compability with low gas pressure.
→ NPE models allow easy conversion from/to natural gas and liquid propane. Navien water heaters are shipped ready for natural gas. Included with each heater, taped to the inside of the case, is the LP orifice.
Less Water Pressure Drop
→ Simple, modular water path minimizes water pressure drops
→ Modular water path design makes maintenance and servicing easier
Ready Link Cascade System connects multiple units in parallel for larger applications.
Ready-Link Cascading Features
• Includes built in controls for easily setting adjustments.
• Easy wiring between units and easy parent-child configuration for multi-unit systems.
• No extra control boards are needed, reducing installation costs.
• 16 units can be linked as a single group and cascaded to as many groups as needed.
• Cascading provides redundancy for reliable on-demand hot water at any time.
• Compact wall-hung design allows a multi-unit system even in confined areas.
• Ideal for hotels, schools, beauty shops, restaurants, health centers, hospitals and more.
Outdoor vent kit available here.
Front Panel Command Center
• Easy setup
• User friendly interface
• Convertible display from °F to °C
• Cascade operation status display
• Temperature and water flow rate indicator
Optional Remote Control
• Recirculation timer setting
• Hot water temperature control
• Configurable temperature for cascade systems with external tanks
• Configurable number of initial activating water heaters in cascade systems
Important: Navien water heaters are shipped ready for natural gas. Included with each heater, taped to the inside of the case, is the orifice for liquid propane. Consult the Gas Conversion Guide for converting it for use with liquid propane.
|Heat Capacity NG/LP
|Energy Factor NG/LP
|Flow Rate at 35°F Rise
|Flow Rate at 45°F Rise
|Flow Rate at 67°F Rise
||Indoor or Outdoor Wall-Hung
||Forced draft direct vent
|Natural Gas Supply Pressure (from source)
|Propane Gas Supply Pressure (from source)
|Natural Gas Manifold Pressure (min to max)
||-0.04" WC to -0.38" WC
||-0.04" WC to -0.84" WC
||-0.04" WC to -0.36" WC
||-0.04" WC to -0.58" WC
|Propane Gas Manifold Pressure (min to max)
||-0.04" WC to -0.42" WC
||-0.03" WC to -0.50" WC
||-0.02" WC to -0.66" WC
||-0.02" WC to -0.78" WC
|Minimum Flow Rate
|Cold Water Inlet
|Hot Water Outlet
||3/4" NPT (Suitable with 1/2" rigid gas pipe. Refer to installation manual for sizing criteria.)
||120 V AC, 60Hz
|Maximum Power Consumption
||200W (max 2A), 350W (max 4A) with external pump connected
||Cold rolled carbon steel
||Primary and secondary heat Exchangers: stainless steel
||2" or 3" PVC, CPVC, Polypropylene 2" or 3" Special Gas Vent Type BH (Class II, A/B/C)
||2" or 3" PVC, CPVC, Polypropylene 2" or 3" Special Gas Vent Type BH (Class II, A/B/C)
||0" to Combustibles
||APS, Ignition Operation Detector, Water Temperature High Limit Switch, Exhaust Temperature High Limit Sensor, Power Surge Fuse
Tankless Water Heater
Installation & Operation Manual
Quick Installation Manual
Wall Mounting Bracket
Four Tapping Screws & Anchors
LP or NG Conversion Kit
Two 2" Vent Termination Caps
Four 2" Wall Flanges
Spare Parts (fuse, etc.)
NPE-A Series and NPE-S Series Brochure
Quick Install Guide
Common (multiple unit) Venting Guide
Gas Conversion Guide
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q1: I would like to buy this Navien heater to replace another water heater that uses metal vent pipe. I read the manual that describes various PVC products to use for venting. The manual does not state that metal should not be used. Are there any performance issues if I use my metal exhaust vent pipe and not the PVC type pipe?
A1: Yes, the reason for using PVC versus metal is for energy efficiency. Navien recommends using PVC because the NPE and NR heaters are condensing type heaters. Using PVC provides the maximum condensing function. The Navien heaters will run more efficiently with PVC.
Yes, you could use your metal venting instead of PVC; the heater will still work safely. Alternatively, you could install the PVC inside the metal venting, using the metal venting as a chase (like a conduit).
Q2: Which additional parts or accessories needed for installation, not included with the purchased unit itself?
A2: Three part answer:
A2.1. We only sell and ship product that is unopened from the factory, recently manufactured, and includes all items indicated in the manual.
A2.2. Certainly you will need additional hardware items to install this unit. These include water pipe, gas pipe, vent pipe. Obviously they will vary with each installation and home. We do not sell these items.
A2.3. Accessories commonly recommended to include with the installation, and may even be required by some (but not all) local building code:
A2.3.1. Isolation valve kit. This allows the you to shut off the water supply to the tankless unit to service it, without having to shut off the water to the whole house. It also has a port for flushing the unit once per year with anti-scale solution. We have several models available in the blue Related Gadgets tab above.
A2.3.2. Condensate neutralizer cartridge. Click to read about why it might be needed.
A2.3.3. Anti-scale filter
Q3: What is the primary difference between the Navien NPE-A and NPE-S?
A3: The A series has a buffer tank and recirc. pump. The S series is more efficient by 2% and has an AFUE of 98-99%.
Q4: Do the NPE series heaters include a remote control?
A4: No. It is an optional accessory. Look for the NaviLink in the blue Related Gadgets tab above.
Q5: How high can I set the water output temperature?
A5: The NPE A and S series heaters ship from the factory with a maximum set water output temperature of 140°F. However, on the front panel the heater can be set to Commercial Mode which allows for setting a higher output temperature, up to a maximum of 182°F.
Q6: I noticed this unit has 3/4" size gas connections. Is this unit compatible with my 1" gas lines?
A6: Yes, the NPE series can use 1" gas lines. Oversizing gas lines is possible provided the minimum WC (water column) meets the minimum 3.5" and maximum 10.5" WC.
Q7: What are the differences between the NPE series and the NR series heaters?
* Efficiency is slightly higher on the NPE.
* NPE has a front panel display where you can change the temperature as well as see diagnostic messages. On the NR, temperature changes can only be done with the remote control or inside the unit.
* The gas valve on the NPE is negative pressure. On the NR it is positive pressure, which relies on the pressure of the gas line.
* The gas connection on NPE is on the left. On the NR it is on the right.
* NR has 3" exhaust and intake venting. The NPE has 2" exhaust and intake venting. Conversion from 3" to 2" can be done with a common 3" to 2" reducer here: http://gadgetsgo.com/Charlotte-Pipe-3-2-PVC-DWV-Coupling-PDWVRMK-PVC00102.html. Both the NR and NPE use Schedule 40 PVC.
* NR dimensions: 17.0 W x 28.0 H 14" D
* NPE dimensions: 17.3 W x 27.4" H 11.4" D
* The NPE series has many more improvements over the NR series.
Installation Help and Recommendations
We recommend that you have a professional tankless water heater installer review the above recommendations. Improper installation may cause loss of life and/or property.
Need an installer? Get 4 FREE Tankless Water Heater Installation Estimates Now. It's Quick and Easy!
Contractors: Get Targeted Consumer Leads in Your Area Now.
Contractors: Apply for Wholesale Pricing from GadgetsGo.com.
The NAVIEN and KD NAVIEN, and ComfortFlow trademarks are the property of Navien America, Inc. and/or KyungDong Navien.